In the summer of 2008 three men stand to have a piss, down the drive in the overgrown grounds was Claremont House, we was on our way to Hepworths it would only be in 2009 we would find Claremont House on a return to Hepworths and what a find, in Dec 2009 we was told of work going on to clear the grounds.
Jan 2010 we take a walk out there indeed work was under way and it seems to be one of careful removing of what was overgrown this uncovering the old greenhouse and other parts we had not seen, at dusk on mid January night it it seem more haunted than before and now there is no access to her inside as the windows are bricked up, we can only wonder at her future? In the meantime it seems a summer visit might just be in order and last year we had thoughts of camping out in the grounds of the former Thornseat Lodge up the valley in Bradfield and making a weekend of some day time and night walks we the odd pint in the local pubs, any how onto some history.
Claremont House is a large, stone built former dwelling and outbuildings, standing in grounds of approximately 1.4 hectares off Storrs Bridge Lane. The building was last used as a social club for employees of the nearby Hepworths Refractories, but has been vacant for many years. It was built in 1895. Some of the outbuildings are in a derelict condition. The grounds, including a former car park and tennis court, had become overgrown and a substantial number of self-set trees and shrubs had colonised the site. The site had reverted to a semi-natural state, although some minor fly tipping has occurred. . The building was last used as a social club for employees of the nearby Hepworths Refractories, but has been vacant from 1983.
The previous household is headed by Owen SWIFT aged 21 steel roller, address Storrs Bridge House. Judging by the 1919 directory, the Swift Brothers rolled steel at what in 1951 was called Owlerton Bridge Rolling Mills
Thomas Marshall was the last to live in it as a home. Thomas Marshall collided with a wagon down the nearby lane and died in the late sixties. It stood empty for awhile until they made it into offices for Marshalls in the early 70s and then when sold to Hepworths Refractories it become The Social Club .