Engineered by Joseph Locke, the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway linking Manchester and Sheffield opened in 1845. Originally, this line terminated at the Bridgehouses station about 1 km to the west of the future Victoria station. In 1847, the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway merged with two other railway companies to form the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. The station at Bridgehouses had been outgrown and an extension and new station were planned. John Fowler, who later gained fame for co-designing the Forth Railway Bridge in Scotland, was employed to engineer the extension and station. Fowler’s design included a 40-foot high, 750-yard viaduct over the Wicker and two island platforms 1000 ft long.
The extension was completed in 1847–1848 and the new Victoria station opened on 15 September 1851. The station gained a 400ft long ridge furrow patterened glass roof likened at the time to the The Crystal Palace (in London) which spanning the main line platforms in 1867 and was further enlarged in 1874, the well-known railway contractors Logan and Hemingway being awarded the contract.
The station received a new frontage in 1908 and took on great importance when the line through the Pennines—known as the Woodhead Route after the long Woodhead Tunnel on it which was electrified for freight purposes after World War II.
In 1965 the second Beeching Report recommended that the Sheffield to Manchester service be consolidated; after much local wrangling British Railways favoured the Hope Valley Line which was slower and not electrified but served more local communities. In 1967, plans were announced to withdraw passenger services along the Woodhead route. Following public outcry, an enquiry was launched that took two years to be completed. Eventually the enquiry backed British Rail’s plans and passenger services were withdrawn from the line on 5 January 1970.
The last train to Victoria station, an enthusiasts’ special, arrived at 00:44 on 5 January and from that point the station was closed.
The station re-opened very briefly in 1972 for diverted trains while Sheffield station was closed for re-signalling.
The Manchester-Sheffield-Wath electric railway was entirely closed east of Hadfield in 1981; and the tracks through the Woodhead Tunnel were lifted in 1986. Except for the goods avoiding line, which still exists to serve the steelworks at Stocksbridge, the track through the station was lifted in the mid-1980s Sheffield, 1989. The Killing of 94 football fans at Hillsbrough makes international headlines as the* grand old lady of Sheffield Victoria Station is demolished and another part of Sheffield’s heritage gone.
Disused buildings loom over the city like skeletons of an industrial empire while the underclass struggle to find work after the industry nears demise all to make way for an extension to the adjacent Victoria Hotel complex, October 2009 here is what is left of Sheffield Victoria railway station, there is no need to give our access point, a short walk and we see little indications of the past this is what is left. More info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffie…ailway_station
We of course in no way condone trespass on live rail sites, readers should be aware this constitutes Criminal Trespass and contravenes Sections 128 to 131 of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 (SOCAP). This can result in a £5000 fine or 6 months imprisonment.